Thursday, August 20, 2009

"Brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down."

A random girl I've never seen came into the house and asked to see my older sister, apparently just to check up on her for whatever reason. She stayed for a short while then left. That was odd and memorable for the day.

So why did I almost forget that it happened today and not earlier in the week?

I haven't done much while I've been here. Mostly I leave the house to get something good to eat, but I can't even recall which days I went to which places. It seems this blog is the only way I can remember how many days into the week I am. That's part of the reason why I can't think of anything to write. I can't remember what the hell has been going on in my day. I wrote some very important comments for various peeps on facebook, but that's about it.

It's partially the summer, but really I've had considerable memory problems for some time. Odd that I remember that... I often can't remember things from my childhood or the things that made me more comfortable around my family then. I recall being a total spaz who didn't understand the jokes he memorized. Really as far as I'm concerned I'm a completely different person now, no relation. Even my memories of being a devout Catholic are fading. I do remember wholeheartedly believing some ignorant bullshit you'd probably punch me in the face for if I tried to say the same things now. Seriously.

I can't remember most of high school, and that's just as well. If I try, I can't come up with anything good. Being considered too weird for Dungeons&Dragons players and being blatantly ignored by Catholic schoolgirls. That sums it up nicely.

My deconversion... That's not so much a memory as it is an ongoing procedure. But it sucked.

That being said, at times I'm one for detail. Obscure humor is one of those things I soak up like a sponge, to the point where I have encyclopedic knowledge of any movie or video or TV show I've bothered to watch more than once. College is still pretty fresh in my mind. And I seem to remember the things I want to, especially with social matters. Things I'm told in conversations from acquaintances are among those things I remember most. I have difficulty forgetting anything I learn about or hear from peeps I'm interested in, which is as much a weakness as it is a strength. When you're left alone, those are not memories you want to be stuck with.

Essentially what this boils down to is, I'm trying to find out which memories make up who I am, and so the ones I'm more likely to remember are from my time at college. It doesn't make for interesting backstory or conversation, but it's who I am, more or less. I live almost entirely in the moment.

Or, you could just say, I don't have a good memory.

Why did I write about this again?

No comments:

Post a Comment